Personal injury can be disastrous, whether it is due to an auto/truck/ industrial accident or through medical malpractice. However, it tends to emerge as a cause of further annoyance if you receive no indemnity. So, if you are injured, say somewhere in Houston and wish to be compensated for your injury, medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering from the insurance company, think again. Insurance companies usually try to quickly settle out of court prior to the victim receiving the proper medical evaluation and usually offer low compensations, thus making hiring a personal injury attorney a must to ensure that you receive the proper compensation you are claiming.
Now, before you embark on the process of selecting a Texas personal injury attorney it is necessary to keep a few points in mind. Below are some significant tips you may want to take into consideration.
- Insurance lawyers/adjusters: First of all, never take help from lawyers/adjusters representing the insurance companies. They work on behalf of the insurance companies and are not looking out for your best interest. It is best that you do not speak with anyone from the insurance company until you hire a lawyer.
- Injury: Determine whether the accident was an injury-producing accident so that a compensation claim can be made, presence of serious injuries such as multiple fractures, hospitalization/surgery or death of a near/dear one are all examples of such. You must approach a lawyer if it amounts to any injury and seek his/her advice on the proper steps to take to preserve your injury claim. Check whether others were involved in the accident such as pedestrians.
- Word of mouth: Before you search through newspapers or yellow pages, ask your friends, relatives or colleagues if they can refer any able personal injury. If not, you can search for local lawyers on the Internet. For example, if you are reside in Houston you can look for attorney specializing in personal injury cases in Houston via the internet.
- Yellow Pages: Another viable option is searching through the yellow pages or any other directory that holds information about the lawyers in your city.
- Background Research: After you obtain a list of the lawyers in your area, conduct a thorough background search on each one. Visit their official website and go through their profile, check their professional status and the work track record, read through the kinds of cases they have handled and the testimonials posted by some of the clients, if any. This will help you get an idea about the lawyer, his practicing term and the number and types of cases he has handled. You should even check his/her professional affiliations.
- Authentic Information: Even though you collect all of this information about the lawyer, how can you determine the authenticity of the data? For this you can check the lawyer's profile in via the State Bar of Texas website. You can get the credentials of the selected attorney, the experience, the date of the license issued and whether the attorney has any complaints/grievances filed against him/her.
- Shortlist: Narrow down the list of personal attorney to a one-digit number and start calling them. Talk to them about your case and ask questions such as the number of similar cases they have handled, how many have they won and their total years of experience, their area of expertise and whether they handle the cases personally or through their assistant.
Personal injury resulting in catastrophic injuries can cost you a lot of money, inconvenience and pain and suffering. Since the insurance companies are reluctant to compensate victims fully, seek help from a qualified attorney immediately! Contact Houston, Texas Lawyer John K. Zaid today.